Job Title: Major Gifts Officer
The League of Conservation Voters is seeking a Major Gifts Officer to focus on securing major gifts in support of the LCV family of organizations including LCV (a 501(c)4 organization), LCV Action Fund (a federal political action committee) and LCV Education Fund (a 501(c)3 organization). LCV has embarked on an ambitious strategic plan to dramatically increase the number of mid-range donors ($1,000 to $25,000) across the country. The Major Gifts Officer is a key member of the Major Gift Team and the Development Division, supporting the critical work of the high-paced division, which plays an integral role in the organization’s growth and functioning. This position is based in Washington, D.C., however the location is negotiable for the right candidate.
Reports To: Senior Vice President of Development
Positions Reporting to this Position: N/A
Major Gifts Officer:
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment and stewardship of major gifts ($1,000+) for LCV, LCVEF, and LCV Action Fund. In addition, the MGO will work with our state league partners to raise funds jointly from both national and state league donors and major donor prospects as part of a collaborative fundraising structure. The Major Gifts Officer will work with the Senior Vice President of Development, other members of the Major Gift Team, and the Director of Collaborative Fundraising to help prepare an annual major gifts fundraising plan that includes solicitation of donors for LCV’s various entities and joint solicitation of donors with the state leagues. The MGO will be responsible for maintaining a specific portfolio of individual major donors, select foundation funders, and prospects.
• Work in concert with the SVP of Development to develop and implement an annual major donor cultivation and solicitation action plan, including methods of identifying new donors and implementing solicitation and stewardship strategies for current and prospective donors.
• Manage a defined major donor portfolio that includes current, lapsed and prospective donors as well as joint state league donors. Responsibilities include: visit and trip management; donor outreach; and facilitation of donor requests for materials and information.
• Perform major gift solicitations via face-to-face asks, personal letters, and phone calls. Depending on the states in the MGO’s portfolio, some of these solicitations will be conducted with the state league.
• Conduct research on donors and prospects, develop donor profiles and briefing documents, and maintain and manage database profiles for portfolio of donors.
• Work with LCV’s development, communications, and program staff, along with state league partners, to develop compelling materials and scripts to maximize fundraising results.
• Work with LCV/LCVEF board and state league partner boards to help gain access to donors and prospects and to expand relationships with donors and prospects in region.
• Work with state league partners to steward and cultivate joint major donors.
• Work with state league partners to plan and oversee joint major donor fundraising special events in their region, including possible candidate bundling events for Give Green, a project of LCV Action Fund.
• Serve as a training resource and mentor to state league development staff and state leagues boards as appropriate.
• Assist in the implementation of strategies to upgrade and convert mail responsive donors to become major donors.
• Ensure portfolio records are current with all necessary and pertinent information, and input contacts and actions into database in a timely manner.
• Help to identify planned giving prospects.
• Prepare regular major gifts reports for the SVP of Development for inclusion in development division reports to the Boards of Directors and the President.
• Participate in Major Gift Team planning meetings and trainings, fundraising and organizational strategic planning meetings, as well as regular development, message, and program meetings.
•Other duties as assigned.
• College degree required
• 5+ years of development experience with a strong background and proven success in individual major gift fundraising required
• Issue advocacy and/or political fundraising experience strongly preferred
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required
• Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
• Ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
• Expert interpersonal skills, energetic, and self-motivated
• Travel required
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with "MGO" in the subject line, or mail to League of Conservation Voters, Attn: Human Resources, 1920 L Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please.
The League of Conservation Voters is an equal opportunity employer.