Title: Research Director
Reports To: Sr. Vice President for Campaigns
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national priorities. To secure the environmental future of our planet, LCV’s mission is to advocate for sound environmental policies, to elect proenvironmental candidates who will adopt and implement such policies and to provide the state LCVs with the resources and tools to accomplish and sustain their mission. The Research Director will work with the Campaigns Department to undertake and oversee all background and investigative research projects on issues, Members of Congress, candidates, and opponents.
- Conduct all research related needs of the Campaigns Department, including background research on environmental issues; developing research books on Members of Congress and candidates; and undertaking research on opponents particularly in polluting industries such as oil and coal.
- Fact-check all campaign materials including generating back-up for ads and serving as liaison between Campaigns Department, General Counsel and Communications to ensure accuracy of all materials.
- Manage any research projects that involve outside consultants including hiring consultants and overseeing their work.
- Initiate research projects that uncover compelling details that will elevate our campaign work and place our opponents on the defensive.
- Undertake writing projects including reports on campaign activities for members, funders and media.
- Support other Departments’ research needs as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree required.
- Work experience: At least five years experience conducting candidate and issue research or other related research experience.
- Skills: Strong research skills; thorough and detail-oriented; strong writing skills, especially in advocacy context; creative and aggressive in pursuing potential opportunities; works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work; proficient in utilizing LexisNexis, searching FEC reports and other key research tools; understanding of environmental issues and their potential political saliency.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with Research Director in the subject line by May 13, 2011. No phone calls please.
League of Conservation Voters is an equal opportunity employer